Below are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and their answers. If you do not see the answer to your particular query,
Contact Us and we shall get back to you directly.
1. What is Mensa?
Mensa is the world’s oldest and most famous high IQ society.
2. Is Mensa an elitist organisation?
While it is true that some of Mensa’s members are at or near the top of their chosen field, we are still governed by the same social rules and norms which apply across the rest of the population. Therefore, the short answer is “No”.
3. Is Mensa a Charity?
No. It is a not-for-profit membership organisation.
4. How do you become a member?
You need to prove your IQ is in the top two per cent of the population. For most people, this means taking a Mensa Supervised IQ Test. Reports from qualified psychologists can also be used as prior evidence.
5. What age do you have to be to get into Mensa?
There is no upper or lower age limit. Mensa can only test from 10.5 years upwards but independent psychological results on those under that age are accepted for membership to Mensa.
6. What is the difference between Emotional Intelligence (EI) and the type of intelligence required to get into Mensa? Is EI a valid form of intelligence?
Yes, EI is a valid form of intelligence, and the two are not mutually exclusive. However, EI cannot be measured in a standard way which applies to all people as it is closely tied with the particular culture and belief system in which a person has grown up and to which a person is accustomed.
7. I did the home test a good while back and I would now like to take the supervised test. What do I do?
The easiest way is to click on Test Dates and see if there is a particular date/location combination that suits you. You can then contact the Administrator, details on the Contact Us page, who can advise on the fees and availability.
8. I did the supervised test and got a result which was high enough to get me into Mensa. Now what?
If you still have the testing number or the documentation which you would have received then, just contact the above address with those details and the annual fee. If you do not have this information, but have an approximate month or even year, together with venue of the test, Contact Us and we can check if the information is available.
9. How much does it cost annually to be in Mensa?
It currently costs €70.95 / £59.95 (this reduces to €64.95 / £54.95 if paying by Direct Debit). You can obtain a concession rate of €44.95 / £37.95 if you are unwaged or under 18 years of age. Mensa also offers a family membership deal.
10. I used to be a member of Mensa but my membership lapsed. Do I have to do the test again?
No. Intelligence does not degrade enough over time to merit another test. If you have your previous membership number, then you just need to contact the above address and get your membership reinstated.
11. I was a member of Mensa in another country. Can I join Irish Mensa?
Yes, you can. Just contact the above address with details of the national Mensa of which you were previously a member, give your name and number and your membership will be transferred.